On 2/28/2018 2:44 AM, Rory McCann wrote:
Hi all,

To follow up on the phone call, and waiting a little bit for people to
join. 😁

I think this list should have a Code of Conduct. I propose something
like Geek Feminism's one. Thoughts?

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Community_anti-harassment/Policy

I see nothing wrong with a mailing list deciding on rules for how they moderate themselves. Before setting rules, it's important to identify what behavior is an issue. With OpenStreetMap Carto's (osm-carto) Code of Conduct, I wanted to start with text that covered derailing topics, including by taking issues off-topic. osm-carto went with a CoC based on that of Go.[1]

The other codes of conduct that made my list for consideration were those from Debian, FreeBSD, Go, Joomla, Puppet, GNOME, Julia, and KDE. A downside to this list is that they're all software development related projects. OpenStreetMap Carto is similar to one[2], but OpenStreetMap isn't a software project. I would want to also consider what other non-software volunteer groups are doing. Some that kind to mine are cycling associations, ramblers, and other groups which OSM has a strong tie to.

A couple of issues I would consider if I were doing the selection again are readability and education or socioeconomic status. Readability is a big problem with many codes of conduct. The Go CoC comes with a score of 11-13,[3] and I'd want 8-10 at most. This is better than the Geek Feminism one, which scores 13-15 and uses a lot of jargon.

For education and socioeconomic status, I can't say it any better than Richard Fairhurst did [4]:

Volunteer communities in general, and open source software in particular, can be unwelcoming places for people from poorer backgrounds or without a university/college education. Wealthy, educated people - which most open source contributors are - can easily dismiss contributions from such users through rhetorical skill, through sniping on grammar/spelling etc., and through belitting their concerns as not representative of the empowered, educated group.

Increasingly I have noticed that contributors from these [areas where residents have typically benefited from as good an education, and have less well-paying jobs] find it hard to articulate their views on the site without being shot down by the wealthier, more educated majority. This might take the form of the majority criticising minority contributors over minutiae (small sincerely-believed factual inaccuracies, grammar/spelling); or a deliberate unwillingness to tolerate assumptions that differ from the majority; or constructing means of engagement/consultation that are less open to those from poorer backgrounds (evening meetings arranged which are effectively closed to those unable to get childcare, etc.).

My open-source background is largely in the OpenStreetMap project where there has been a fair amount of academic research done into contributor biases (particularly, though not entirely, through the work of Professor Muki Haklay). The result of such bias is easy to visualise in OSM: wealthy areas such as London or San Francisco are mapped in much more detail than poorer areas such as the Welsh Valleys or the rural American Midwest. However, although the prevailing open-source narrative has led to a fair amount of (welcome) discussion as to how we can welcome and help those groups traditionally considered marginalised in technology, there has been little or no thought given to how we make ourselves more welcoming to poorer or less well educated people. Indeed, there are instances of where such contributors have received a hostile reception on the project's communication channels (mailing lists, on-site discussions).

[1]: The reporting mechanisms weren't suitable for a small project
[2]: It's style development, but we communicate over issues, pull requests, and similar means. [3]: Sometimes called grade level, but that leads people to bad assumptions about what level of education is needed to understand a piece of text
[4]: https://github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant/pull/491