Since this goes past what we want to do for just ourselves, I've renamed the thread. I just want to remind everyone in this discussion that the D&I group (in whatever official form it takes) can't set policy for the ASF - we can only provide recommendations to be acted upon by leadership.

Even within that framework, I am a big fan of RFC 2119 terminology[1] for our recommendations (that end up in front of the BoD/officers and may eventually become policy, procedure, or general recommendations). You'll recognize this as the "MUST," "SHOULD," "COULD," etc. approach to standards and requirements.

I see the two options being presented (on-list, separate-list) both as "COULD"s - I don't yet see a convincing argument for making either a "SHOULD" over the other. But that doesn't mean we couldn't provide guidance, such as:

"Big communities, or those with a substantial non-English membership (such as our projects heavily active and originating in China like CarbonData, Eagle, Griffin, HAWQ, Kylin, ROcketMQ, ServiceComb and Skywalking) may opt for the Debian-like approach of a separate ML, where critical discussion is diverted back to dev@ for English. Smaller projects with less traffic on their dev@ lists, or who tend to use only a single list for communication, may prefer to keep all threads, English or not, on the same list."

Thoughts?

I'm finally excited about this initiative again. This discussion is already bearing fruit that goes past the context of a FAQ and into what could become part of the first preliminary report back to the Board.

-Joan "yay" Touzet

[1]: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2119

On 2019-05-14 1:14 p.m., Jose Miguel Parrella Romero wrote:
In Debian, there are non-English mailing lists for user support, developer
discussions, i18n/l10n and news (think press)

The volume is rather small and threads that can potentially change the
direction of the project are invariably in English (whether in the bug tracking
system, mailing lists, IRC, etc.), but the infrastructure exists and at least
for i18n/l10n and news I can say there's an operational dependency on it. Of
course outside of Debian-hosted infrastructure, there are local Debian user
groups, meetups, conferences, etc.

I recently heard an anecdote from Chris Lamb (former Debian Project Leader) where he
mentioned that after a non-English speaker was repeatedly using the word
"abysmal" to describe the performance of a service (creating friction with the
developers and operators) they chose what I would describe as a probing/educational
communication style, where regardless of whether the performance of the service was
underwhelming or not, the nuances of the concept were written back to the original poster
to the point where either it was a personal attack (rare) or a different word emanated as
alternative.

PS: also sharing some resources from Debian's Anti-Harrassment team Wiki page
[1]

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment