On 14/05/2019 08.59, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 2:49 PM Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
...we’ve asked them to speak English on the mailing lists, so we could ask them
what that experience
was like and if anyone felt excluded...

I'm sure the requirement to use English does turn some people away.

If that's not your native language it's easy to be ashamed of your
writing and avoid communicating on our channels.

Until now we've always (or mostly) said that we can't have non-english
channels as it is hard or impossible for the ASF to have oversight on
those - I think that's still valid today.

It's like democracy - while not perfect, it is (I would say) the least sucky way of ensuring fairness, openness and proper governance, as it is the most universal (and de facto standard) language we have. I do not see the need for or lack of English skills as a thing *we* can fix.

-Bertrand