gabor wrote:
> hmmm.. are you sure that the situation with unicode-aware editors is so bad?
>
> could you name some non-unicode-aware editors?
> for me it seems that from notepad through vim to eclipse everything does
> unicode fine...

Ok, I should rephrase it. Even if most editors do support utf-8 they
aren't configured to do so by default. Unfortunately there is some
notion that unicode is something "new" and "scary" and "who knows what
problems it will cause". So there is a case when on systems where utf-8
is not default environment setting (meaning all Windows and many
Linuxes) if a programmer starts his favorite text editor odds are that
it will not save a new file in utf-8.

But to be sure I'll better run a poll on my forum about it...