On 4/9/07, Marc Fargas Esteve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 4/8/07, Adrian Holovaty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > * The name "values" is a bit too abstract -- it took me a while to
> > figure out exactly what this framework *does*. Maybe something like
> > "editable constants" or "model-specific options" would be more clear.
>
> Isn't a constant supposed to be **constant** ? ;) As those values are
> constant during server lifetime the name could be ok as it's clear. But
> maybe "modelsettings" would also sound ok unless it's inside a secondary
> namespace under the model in which case I'd go for "settings".
>
>      # NEW
> >     BlogEntry.constants.comment_limit
>
> On this "settings" sound nicer, for me.

I like "parameters", it wouldn't get confused with settings.py and
accurately describes what it does..

but problem is with name clashes... what if I have a field called
parameters (or constants for that matter)? i think this could work a
bit as a Manager class:

class MyParams( params.Parameters ):
  max_items = params.IntegerParam( 'Max ........', default=6, )

class MyModel( models.Model ):
  field1 = models....
  field2 = models....

  params = MyParams()

that way you can choose the name for the pseudo-field and also reuse
your parameters (DRY: I want max_items on many models, I want it to be
simple to reuse these params)

> Integration with the admin interface would be also a nice thing!

definitely

> Anyway, it's a nice contrib I think almost everyone here has thought about
> something to handle model specific settings sometime and has large
> settings.py :)

definetely ;)

> My 0.02,

and mine