On Jul 10, 11:12 pm, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Don't decide that this hinges on "fully internationalize humanize or it
> shouldn't go there". Incremental changes are good.
agreed.

> > There are four reasons why I feel it is better to have this as part of
> > the core:
> > 1. Hyphenation is a media standard and crucial for non-html templates.
> > Sites which want to generate printable PDF's of say conference
> > programs, or in a standard news media style will want this as much as
> > they want pluralize, widthratio, rjust, and center. This is more than
> > a template filter, but is a text utility.
>
> Not seeing why that does or doesn't support your argument. It's not
> something you need all the time (more appropriate to print layout than
> HTML, as a rule), so including it by default, given that HTML output is
> the common case, isn't a requirement (and saves on memory usage when its
> not included, for example). Having it in contrib/ puts it exactly one
> import away.
wordwrap, center, rjust, and widthratio (for most uses) are more
appropriate for print layout than HTML. The proper way to implement
these in HTML is with CSS, yet they are all part of the existing
default filters. When it comes to the templates, this is just a
specialized form of wordwrap. If the argument is that this is more for
printed forms and not of real general use for the most common html
generation and take up memory and adds bloat, then I question the
inclusion of these other filters, django.utils.text.wrap and other
utilities as well. At least that was my point (and admittedly a weak
one :-) The astute will notice that I left off my fourth argument (it
was just too weak).

> > I will need help with the internationalization parts. I do not
> > have enough experience with the i18n system to make the proper
> > architectural decisions.
>
> I was thinking about this a bit yesterday. It shouldn't be too hard. I'm
> a few days away from implementing anything, since I'm not going to
> instantly bump this to the top of my list, but it's a solvable problem.
I welcome any and all help!!! I don't see this as anything crucial or
time sensitive.
For my part I want this feature for a project, and at worst can
include the code as an app there. I just believe it should be part of
the django distribution instead of some third party addon.

    -Doug