> While I agree with the importance of having reusability tips, I would
> certainly argue against putting it anywhere near django.contrib. When
> I started working on my first app, I had unnecessary delusions of
> getting into django.contrib when it was ready. I wouldn't want to
> cause more people to expect that any and every third-party app has a
> good shot at making it into django.contrib.

Actually, that's exactly why I think it should be put there.  The very
beginning of the document could say what kept being repeated on this
list a while back: "There's nothing special about django.contrib, you
can create your application to live anywhere on the path, etc..." and
"Start your project on an external hosting site like google code, and
if it gets critical mass, and after a proven track record of
maintenance, etc, it might be considered for inclusion."  That way
that question could be put to rest right where users would be looking
for it.