I found the ticket for this strange behaviour of QueryDict, which
meant I wasn't alone having a problem with it -
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7331,
and submited a patch.

It's actually MultiValueDict that is the cause, but let's clarify
things a little, first.

Consider this scenario:

>>> from django.http import QueryDict

>>> qd = QueryDict("a=1&b=2")
>>> qd.items()
[(u'a', u'1'), (u'b', u'2')]

>>> d = {}
>>> d.update(qd)
>>> d.items()

Updating a dict with QueryDict as input results in having dict's
values converted to lists, which is broken IMO. The issue is with
MultiValueDict.iteritems() behaving differently than
MultiValueDict.items(). One yields lists, while the other returns
normal values.

Could this be fixed in 1.0? It breaks compatibility, I know.

regards,
jure