On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 2:11 AM, Karen Tracey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't understand this argument.  At some point fixing this general issue
> is going to have to involve a piecemeal change of each instance where
> exceptions are currently swallowed.  (Or at least each instance where the
> swallowing/transforming is causing problems.)  How can this not be
> eventually fixed in a piecemeal fashion?  It sounds like maybe you want to
> design something consistent to do instead and not do anything until that
> consistent design is developed...is that what you're getting at?

Yes. I'd rather have thought put into A) whether it's worth doing
something (after all, this is really more of a Python thing -- Python
has "except", not "except but only when the exception was in the last
stack frame") and B) what that thing is. I don't want to end up with a
patchwork of different solution because different cases ended up with
different people passionately arguing about how best to solve them.

> This one, I think, is worth fixing sooner rather than later.  I don't even
> know if the others are worth worrying about, since I can't say I recall any
> people on the users list running into trouble with other cases of this
> exception-swallowing behavior. This one I definitely have seen causing
> problems, triggered by newforms-admin causing a lot more code to get
> executed when urls.py is loaded.

Then we need a *general* solution, that can and must be applied to all
the various places where we do stuff like this (template tag loading
also has the potential to "swallow" exceptions, as do other areas of
URL resolution, as does middleware loading, as do... well, lots of
stuff in Django). But again I think this comes down to prioritization;
it's really less of a bug in Django than it is an attempt to help
people rescue their own broken code (since the root of the issue is
that somebody will have broken code somewhere and the "real" exception
is masked when something else incidentally bumps against it), and we
still have plenty of genuine bugs where things in Django don't work
properly. So I still think this is a post-1.0 thing.