On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Quick note: Malcolm and I are in Portland in the only place in the
> city sans wifi. We've talked about this and the other exc swallowing
> issue and I have some thoughts. Please hold until I'm in a more
> civilized location and can actually use a keyboard bigger than a few
> stamps.

So it's a couple of days later...got time to update with your thoughts?  I'm
not trying to be a pain, I just spent some time investigating #8569 where
this exception-swallowing behavior completely obscures the real origin of
the error (which is obscure enough with the actual traceback).  I know how
to get rid of it so it wasn't any big deal for me to patch the code to
remove the exception swallowing, but I fear if 1.0 ships like this we'll be
getting a lot of reports of ImproperlyConfigured exceptions with
tantalizingly vague error messages and no real traceback informaiton to be
able to guide people as to whether it's a bug in their code or a bug in
Django.

Karen