On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 09:08 -0800, Waldemar Kornewald wrote:
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> On 10 Feb., 05:25, Malcolm Tredinnick <malc...@pointy-stick.com>
> wrote:
> > I have a reasonably fleshed out plan to make things easier here in the
> > Django 1.2 timeframe. The rough idea is that everything under
> > django/db/models/sql/ could be replaced with a module of the developer's
> > choosing (probably set via a setting). That package is the only place
> > that really cares much about SQL.
> >
> > So somebody wanting a GAE backend or an Hadoop backend or something else
> > would write something that behaved the same way as the Query class (and
> > subclasses) and could be called by the QuerySet class appropriately.
>
> Is the plan somewhere on the wiki?

No, because it's only something I'm pulling together slowly in my head.

> App Engine support requires at least that Model and probably a few
> other classes can be overridden (maybe partially)
>  For example,
> save_base() makes a few queries to check if the row already exists,
> but this would have to be done differently on App Engine (hopefully
> with a transaction).

No. Backends should require piecemeal futzing around at that level --the
Model level should be reasonably abstracted from backend specifics. We
should, instead, fix the problem more generically by moving those tests
into the django/db/models/sql/ level in some fashion.

That's one of those "we'll do it when we need it" tasks. Since this is
the first time anybody's mentioned, we now have a reason to look at it.

Regards,
Malcolm