On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:47 AM, Simon Willison <si...@simonwillison.net> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 7:34 pm, Rob Madole <robmad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> TEST_RUNNER = 'django.contrib.test.nose.run_tests'
>>
>> There might be some futzy bits to make that actually work, but I think
>> it'd doable.
>
> I'd love to see this working. Obviously this would work just as well
> implemented as an external project - but if it's as useful as it
> sounds I'd personally be up for including it in core, if only to
> promote the usage of nose amongst Django developers (and hence help
> weaken the impression that Django doesn't integrate well enough with
> the wider Python community).

I'm yet to be convinced that Nose should be the default test runner
for the simple reason that it doesn't come out of the box with Python.
However, I agree that using Nose with Django should be as painless as
possible. I included the TEST_RUNNER setting specifically for this
reason.

I haven't seen any reports in Trac that the capabilities of
TEST_RUNNER aren't suitable for the task, and I've seen several
snippets and blog posts indicating that Nose can be used with Django.
If I'm incorrect on this, please let me know (or better still, open a
ticket in Trac).

Then there is the issue of whether Django should be responsible for
shipping a Nose-compatible test runner, or whether that is Nose's
responsibility. Historically, I've been of the opinion that it should
be Nose's responsibility to ship a test runner, but I'm open to other
opinions on this.

I'm slightly hesitant to start building extra features like --failfast
into Django's testing tools, especially when tools like Nose already
cover this territory. Django isn't a test framework tool, and I'm
hesitant to support proposals that  try to turn it into one.

Russ %-)