> From the point of view of encouraging the usage of nose, either would
> work fine. I think this is fits in to the conversation at DjangoCon
> about how we should go about encouraging Django users to explore the
> wider Python ecosystem. The important thing is that we can have some
> official (or semi-official) documentation somewhere saying "to access
> enhanced test running commands, install nose and drop this string in
> to your TEST_RUNNER setting." The string itself could point at
> dango.something or nose.something, the important thing from my point
> of view is that they don't have to grab a test runner script from
> another third party, then figure out where to put it within their
> project. If nose don't want to ship the test runner, I'd be fine with
> putting it in django.contrib somewhere.

It's hard to get people to write tests.  It's hard to get them to
document their work.  I wouldn't care if it's in Nose or Django that
has the test runner, just as long as doing an "easy_install nose" and
changing the TEST_RUNNER is all a user has to do to make the switch.
I just can't imagine the Nose guys including a Django test runner in
their base install.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Simon's comment about documentation makes me think there needs to be
some detailed docs about how you would use this (beyond the "change
your TEST_RUNNER").  The Nose docs are good, but they don't have the
same flavor that the Django docs do.  The audience is different I
think.  If this is really going to be easy, I'd like to see docs about
how to use --pdb and --failed and --coverage built right into the
Django testing docs.

This may sunset or compete with two other tickets that are slotted for
1.2 though:
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4501 (via Nose's coverage
support)
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/11613 (you can use --pdb and --