I'd like to propose the addition of a new tutorial that represents a
complete website, describing everything from start to finish.  This
would allow for many more topics to come into play -- things we all
deal with at some point in developing websites using Django.  This
would also allow for those topics to have a concrete central model and
not be hypothetical situations.  The end result should be source code
someone can checkout of a source control repository and run
themselves.  It would also be nice if the site being developed in the
tutorial were available and useful to the community as a whole.

To that end I'm also proposing that the site be http://www.djangosnippets.org/,
as long as James Bennett is ok with it.  The source code is already
available and under a BSD license.  The site is already well used and
important to the community.  The model is relatively simple (snippets)
with the possibility of a few 3rd party apps for things like ranking
of snippets, tagging, registration, Pygments, etc.  Django snippets
would also benefit from this process by getting an update to Django
1.0 (or newer).

I think an outline of the tutorial steps and what should be covered is
important to solidify at the outset.  That way if someone has a
particular interest in, say, caching, they could jump right in and
start fleshing out that step.  There are some dependencies on early
steps, of course.

Here's a very rough proposed outline that should be fleshed out more
and more detail added to each step on what topic areas to cover.  Much
of the current tutorial could be "ported" to the appropriate steps...

1. Creating a project - install, runserver, settings
2. Creating an app - app philosophy, INSTALLED_APPS
3. Creating models
4. Enabling the admin
5. Writing urls and views - generic views, custom views
6. Templates
7. Forms
8. Tests
9. 3rd party apps
11. Feeds
12. Caching
13. APIs
14. i18n and l10n
15. Deployment

What I'd like to know is:
* How do people feel about a tutorial that covers a complete site?
* How do people feel about that site being Django snippets?
* Comments on the proposed outline?  Are there any important steps
missing?  Ordered logically? Feel free to add detail to any step.
* Do we cover things not in Django -- like model migrations, search,
RESTful APIs -- using 3rd party Django apps?
* Would it be possible to do this openly, with easy user comments,
like the Django book?  Is that software available?

Also, if we're going to pull this off we're going to need people to
help in a variety of ways.  So I'm also curious who might be
interested.  We'll need: authors to write some sections, reviewers to
give feedback, editors to clean up text and bring uniformity to the
whole thing, developers to make sure the software the tutorial is
describing is coded using best practices and works, a handful of
people to drive the process and foster community involvement, etc.

Feedback welcome,
Rob