"You seem to be suggesting that a fork will somehow magically fix the
speed of Django development. I ask you: who is going to work on this
fork?"

I think a hostile fork is almost a certain outcome if development
continues as it has.  Not only is the resistance to make backwards
incompatible changes in future releases a bad policy for the quality
of the framework, but the behavior in trac has a negative effect on
community contributions.

The level of resistance I see to change or outsider code contribution
is an enormous de-motivator for people (like me) to want to make any
contributions in the first place.  Why should I contribute a patch to
your flawed architecture if I'm going to be talked down to, ridiculed,
then eventually have the patch rejected because it breaks code in some
edge-use-case?

Personally I believe my time might be better spent developing a fork,
than arguing over clear flaws in architecture decisions that "can't be
changed".

It's a good idea to avoid breaking backwards compatibility in point
releases, but as far as major releases go ... I whole heartedly
encourage it.  If keeping backwards compatibility was a good idea, my
macbook pro would have a 5.12" floppy drive, a 3.25" drive, a jazz
drive, it would accept serial and adb plugs.... and maybe have a
display mode to emulate those green crt monitors of yore.

Good software is about removing flaws, improving the architecture, and
learning from past mistakes.  If this comes at a price, then pay.

-k