On Sep 25, 4:21 pm, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com>
wrote:
> My reason for wanting this is that I'm simply not an expert in any of
> these backends. I know SQL quite well, but I haven't had occasion to
> try out other backends in depth. I can judge the technical merits of a
> patch based on what I know, but I don't want to make a judgement based
> on incompletely knowledge. I need to rely on those that I know and
> trust to give me confidence that nothing has been missed.

This is really the biggest problem. If you work in a company where
your lead developer or manager doesn't know enough about the
technology and for that reason wants to have a huge amount of analysis
and review how are you going to get anything done? You'd surely call
such a company dysfunctional. You yourself always say how limited your
time is and that you're working on this in your spare time. Well,
we're in the same situation. I don't know if I can and want to invest
a lot of time, so I can give you a detailed analysis of everything,
especially if you only trust people you know personally, anyway. I
mean, try convincing someone who doesn't know SQL that Django's ORM
supports JOINs and aggregates and UPDATE operations. It's practically
impossible. That's exactly how I feel. We've got a lot of users with
experience in their particular NoSQL DBs and some of them are even
betting their business on those backends and use them for commercial
projects without any problems and even that doesn't seem to be
convincing enough. I understand your side: You don't feel qualified to
make a decision. That's fine. But from my side it looks like I'm in
fact wasting my time because I don't get trusted, anyway. So, is
anyone in the Django core team experienced enough with NoSQL DBs to
make a qualified analysis and is that person serious about helping to
get NoSQL support into Django 1.4? Without such a person helping us it
doesn't make sense to continue this project.

If you want to know whether users face surprises with Django-nonrel
please read this post from yesterday, for example:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-python/msg/2ee52c2aa8ab720b

> Lastly, we need to resolve the AutoField problem. This is the biggest
> outstanding technical issue. I can't say I've got any particularly
> brilliant ideas on how to solve it. Suggestions are welcome.

Wasn't your original suggestion good enough? We could detect whether
the user only has SQL backends and activate the old validation
behavior, but show a deprecation warning whenever things are expected
to change. If the user has a NoSQL backend the new validation behavior
is automatically activated. A few releases later we can get rid of the
old behavior.

> As for timing: I'm on record saying a number of times now that this
> isn't something I'm targeting for 1.3. We need to have a release that
> is low on features and high on bugfixes. Given the time required to
> make large scale database backend changes, I simply don't have enough
> bandwidth to satisfy the community needs for 1.3 *and* the needs of
> query-refactor. However, if people like yourself that are motivated in
> this are can get the pieces in place during the 1.3 development cycle,
> query-refactor could be an early delivery in the 1.4 timeframe (i.e.,
> early next year).

That's fine.

Bye,
Waldemar