On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 8:31 AM, David P. Novakovic
<davidnovako...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This has probably been discussed at great length previously... but my
> 2c follows:
>
> If you are using a column/doc store you are trying to solve a
> different problem than if you are using an SQL db.
>
> How important is 100% interop? Surely it's about documenting the
> differences between them and providing an interface to document stores
> that isn't completely foreign to people who know how to use the django
> ORM?

Sounds like you need to watch the couple of panel discussions at
DjangoCon.us and DjangoCon.eu where we discuss this exact point. :-)

100% interop with a relational store is a pipe dream. As you say,
they're different solutions for different problems. NoSQL support in
Django isn't about trying to make everything look like a hammer. Its
about ensuring that all the tools we have in the shed are compatible.

So - the real goal is to ensure that you can use forms and generic
views with NoSQL stores, not to ensure that you take an app built
using a relational store, and deploy it on a NoSQL store. Using a
common query interface is the easiest way to make this happen; and as
a bonus, it means that NoSQL stores gain a query interface that is
familiar.

> In which case it seems that the trust issue Russ was talking about
> earlier is the main barrier here. We need more trusted people to be
> using the non-rel code.

To be sure - this is a big barrier. The more eyeballs this code gets,
the better the end product will be.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)