On Nov 15, 6:31 am, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Tai Lee <real.hu...@mrmachine.net> wrote:
> > I like the idea of needmoreinfo as a resolution, which makes it clear
> > to the reporter that they need to take the next step to re-open the
> > ticket with more info. I don't think that closed with "invalid" and a
> > comment makes this as clear.
>
> > However, I think there's another problem area where we need to be able
> > to make it clear that someone needs to take the next step, and that is
> > when a ticket has been "accepted", feedback has been given to the
> > reporter, and the reporter has actioned that feedback (e.g. by
> > uploading a patch with tests and docs as per the feedback). In this
> > case the ticket will often languish in "accepted" for months (or
> > years). Since it is frowned upon for a reporter to mark their own
> > ticket as RFC, there's no way for the reporter to flag the ticket as
> > feedback actioned and put it back in the court of the original triager
> > or core developer who accepted it and gave their feedback, who can
> > then either push it up to RFC or commit it themselves.
>
> Incorrect. There *is* a way for a reporter to flag that they have
> followed through on feedback -- they update the 'need docs', 'needs
> tests' and 'needs improvement' flags.
>
> Example workflow:
>
>  * Alice creates a ticket, with an incomplete patch (no tests,
> incorrect implementation)
>  * Bob reviews the patch, marks it "Accepted, needs tests, patch needs
> improvement"
>  * Alice updates the patch, adding tests (but not changing the
> implemenation). She removes the two flags.
>  * Charlie reviews the patch, resets the 'patch needs improvement flag'
>  * Alice updates the patch, fixing the implementation. She removes the
> needs improvement flag.
>  * Daisy reviews the patch, marks it RFC.
>
> At any point in this process, a search for tickets "Accepted & has
> patch & !needs improvement & !needs docs  & !needs tests" will reveal
> tickets that need review of some kind. These tickets either need to be
> moved to RFC, or need to have their flags set to indicate the
> deficiency in the patch.

I admit I am guilty of breaking the (unknown to me) rule/etiquette of
marking my own tickets RFC as a last resort to move them forward.
Unlike your example workflow, my experience is often like this:

* I create a ticket and submit a patch plus passing tests (no need for
docs if it's a bug or a promise to add them once it is reviewed and
accepted, i.e. it passes the DDN stage).
* The ticket stays unreviewed for days, weeks or months or it is
marked as accepted at best, without actual feedback how to proceed,
one way or another.
* At some point I mark it RFC since as far as I am concerned it *is*
ready for checkin.
* More time passes and still nobody bothers.

If I'm doing it wrong, please educate me.

George