1.Disk hits can be avoided using the django.template.loaders.cached.Loader.
We have a form rendering system that uses a lot of templates and it's being
used in some pretty big websites, so far I haven't notices performance
issues because of form rendering and we haven't use the cached loader as of
yet.
Also waiting for them to build it so it can be performance tested and then
shooting it down seems a bit harsh ;-)

2. I dunno if renaming row to field is a good idea, a row can contain
multiple fields.