On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Ole Laursen <o...@iola.dk> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a project where setting TEMPLATE_STRING_IF_INVALID has been
> invaluable in finding problems (for various reasons). The caveat
> mentioned in the docs don't kick in here because no templates are
> inherited from elsewhere. Except the admin which unfortunately breaks
> down in some places.
>
> I realize there's been a big discussion before about the merits of
> error suppression. No need to repeat that.
>
> But is it really not possible to fix admin in the few places it's a
> problem? Those I've seen so far have one-line fixes where you add an
> empty variable to the context. Seems harmless to me. I realize
> cluttering the template itself with a {% if var %} is ugly. No need to
> go there.
>
> I don't mind writing a patch for the cases that bother me, but won't
> do it unless somebody is willing to apply it?

On principle, I have no objection to the idea of making the admin
templates more robust in the presence of TEMPLATE_STRING_IF_INVALID;
adding dummy values in the context sounds like a reasonable approach
-- *if* doing this doesn't undermine broader error handling in the
templates.

Also -- dummy values may not be the only option. There's also |default
and |default_if_none filters.

However, in order to evaluate the details, I'd need to see them --
which unfortunately means a patch (or, at least, an indicative start
of a patch).

I fully appreciate your desire not to waste your time, though --
there's no point making a patch if it will be ignored. I would suggest
the best approach here is to attack this in stages. Provide a patch
that fixes a small number of uses in a limited number of key
templates, and poke around on django-dev or on IRC to ask for a
review. Once that initial patch is approved and/or applied, expand the
patch until it covers all problematic uses.

Russ %-)