Hi Aymeric,

On 10/22/2011 05:02 AM, Aymeric Augustin wrote:
> On IRC, Bas Peschier pointed out that the current docs follow the
> "definitions" of i18n and l10n.
>
> In fact, the code (in particular the settings) uses the "gettext"
> definitions while the docs use the more general "Wikipedia"
> definition, and confusion ensues.
>
> For consistency, I think the docs should reflect the assumptions of
> the code. So I'm proposing the following clarification:
>
>> Definitions ===========
>>
>> Different people give different meanings to the words
>> "internationalization" and "localization".
>>
>> Django follows the definitions from the `GNU gettext
>> documentation`_:
>>
>> * Internationalization means supporting multiple languages; *
>> Localization means supporting multiple input and output formats.
>>
>> In short, internationalization is about text, localization is about
>> data.
>>
>> The `Wikipedia article`_ and the `W3C Web Internationalization
>> FAQ`_ have a different approach:
>>
>> * Internationalization means preparing the software for
>> localization; * Localization means writing the translations and
>> local data.
>>
>> From this point of view, internationalization is for developers,
>> localization is for translators.
>>
>> Although the latter definition is more common and possibly more
>> correct, Django sticks with the former. Developers being the
>> primary audience, a thematic approach makes more sense. It's more
>> consistent with the implementation too.
>>
>> .. _W3C Web Internationalization FAQ:
>> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-i18n .. _GNU gettext
>> documentation:
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Concepts ..
>> _Wikipedia article:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization_and_localization
>
> Does this make sense?

I'm an expert in neither internationalization nor localization, but I do
think that our code (in particular the highly user-visible bits like
settings) should use the same definitions as our docs, otherwise we're
just asking for confusion. And it's a lot easier to change the docs than
to make backwards-incompatible code changes. So unless there is a really
compelling reason to use the Wikipedia/W3C definitions, I agree with
your proposed change.

Carl