On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Daniel Sokolowski <
daniel.sokolow...@klinsight.com> wrote:

> The issue here is that django auth is limited, and restrictive and needs
> hacks to make it use emails as usernames, we can agree on that yes?

I agree with this point.

> We can also agree that contrib.auth2 with LFK is a complex undertaking far
> into the future?

I agree that LFK isn't a simple undertaking, and doesn't solve all the
auth.User problems, anyway.

> Can we also agree that the 30 character limitation on the username ought
> to be increased?

I don't agree that changing the length of the username field is the general
solution to the problem of email authentication. First, there's the issue
of backwards compatibility: as Carl pointed out, you can't just change the
size of the field without requiring a schema migration in every existing
django installation, and that's very painful. Second, there's the issue
that if you're storing emails in your username field, you've got a
redundant email field floating around.

With pluggable auth apps, you could make a User model with a longer
username field, if you decide that's the best solution for your app, and if
you're comfortable with the schema migration. I might elect to use a
different User model that foregoes the username field altogether. With
pluggable auth apps, the choice is mine—and yours. :)

Cheers,

Clay