So, the patch [1] is looking alright, but after some consideration I think
it's going to be best to leave this until just after the 1.5 branch has
happened and then merge it in as part of the 1.6 cycle.

My reasoning is thus:

 - The whole point of getting something into 1.5 was so I could build
migrations as a third-party app. Since I now plan to make it more tightly
integrated, that's no longer useful.
 - The current patch is a bit ugly with the way it deals with AppCache -
discussion has led to a better, less hacky solution of implementing models
in a way where they can register into a different appcache.
 - It makes more sense to have the schema alteration, Field API changes and
migration runners all come out at once as otherwise it's not really a
user-facing solution.

Thus, I'd like to wait until 1.5 is branched off, and then merge in an
improved patch which has better support for making models that don't
register themselves, following that up at some point in the 1.6 cycle with
patches that implement a new field description API (so fields can be
serialised in a more human-readable way than pickle) and then finally the
migration runner/dependency solver, meaning 1.6 would ship with a full
migrations system in place.

Input on this plan is welcome - I just didn't want to rush something in
when it can be more polished and useful next release! It also means that
this can hopefully be integrated more smoothly with app-loading when that
lands.

Andrew