On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Andrew Godwin <and...@aeracode.org> wrote:
> So, the patch [1] is looking alright, but after some consideration I think
> it's going to be best to leave this until just after the 1.5 branch has
> happened and then merge it in as part of the 1.6 cycle.
>
> My reasoning is thus:
>
>  - The whole point of getting something into 1.5 was so I could build
> migrations as a third-party app. Since I now plan to make it more tightly
> integrated, that's no longer useful.

Have I missed part of the discussion here? At DjangoCon, South was
still going to exist (as the "smarts" part of the problem) -- has this
changed?

>  - The current patch is a bit ugly with the way it deals with AppCache -
> discussion has led to a better, less hacky solution of implementing models
> in a way where they can register into a different app cache.

This point by itself strikes me as a good reason to punt to 1.6;
Preston's patch for the app refactor is *almost* ready, and it's going
to have some pretty profound implications for this point.

>  - It makes more sense to have the schema alteration, Field API changes and
> migration runners all come out at once as otherwise it's not really a
> user-facing solution.

Agreed.

> Thus, I'd like to wait until 1.5 is branched off, and then merge in an
> improved patch which has better support for making models that don't
> register themselves, following that up at some point in the 1.6 cycle with
> patches that implement a new field description API (so fields can be
> serialised in a more human-readable way than pickle) and then finally the
> migration runner/dependency solver, meaning 1.6 would ship with a full
> migrations system in place.
>
> Input on this plan is welcome - I just didn't want to rush something in when
> it can be more polished and useful next release! It also means that this can
> hopefully be integrated more smoothly with app-loading when that lands.

I has a sad, but I understand why. Sounds like a reasonable approach to me.

Russ %-)