On Friday 01 March 2013, Aymeric Augustin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to improve transactions handling in Django. The first step is [to
> replace -- assumed, SB] the current emulation of autocommit with
> database-level autocommit.

There is an issue you seem to be ignoring: An "ORM Write" is, in many cases,
more than a single query against the backend. The most obvious example is
models with inheritance -- trying to do these with database-level autocommit
means that the code writes the two parts in separate transactions. I'm very -1
on this.

There are two alternatives I see -- one is to make sure that an ORM Write is
still a transaction (not database-level autocommit); the other is to
explicitly commit-unless-managed (or something equivalent) after every read
and raw-sql, as well as write.

BTW, how do you treat select-for-update, which currently makes sense in "faked
autocommit" mode, but will stop making sense with the suggested change?

Shai.