On 10/05/13 14:12, Aymeric Augustin wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On 10 mai 2013, at 10:16, Mark Hughes <m...@cyki.com> wrote:
>> Another option to consider could be mysql-connector-python
>>
>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mysql-connector-python/1.0.9
>
> Thank you, it's the official library I was missing!
>
> Unfortunately, it's licensed under the GPL. To the best of my
> understanding, importing modules in the same Python process triggers
> GPL contamination. Therefore, if Django officially supports this
> module, anyone distributing code that works with Django should either
> release it under the GPL or specify that it's illegal to use it with
> MySQL.

Can the GPL really do this? My own thoughts on this are here:

http://lukeplant.me.uk/blog/posts/python-and-copyright/

I'm not saying that we should use GPL code if there is BSD alternative,
but as far as I can see, it's impossible for the GPL to say *anything*
in this situation, because there is nothing a typical Django project
would be doing with that library that would actually require them to
accept the terms of the license.

The GPL allows *using* of the code for any purpose. It's only when a
project becomes a distributor of the GPL code that it is required to
abide by the other terms.

Regards,

Luke

--
"God demonstrates his love towards us in this, that while we were
still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/