Hi Luke,

Your blog post nails the problem. The GPL wasn't written with dynamic
languages in mind and "linking" is a big question mark. As far as I know,
it has never been tested in court, and we won't be sure of anything until
it is.

Of course I could be wrong… I'm just repeating what I've heard from
others whom I trust.

In fact I would just like to skip this debate entirely and the easiest way
to do that is to avoid the GPL :)

That said, in my experience, people releasing Python libraries under
the GPL fall in two categories:
- people unfamiliar with licensing trying to do the right thing (I've done
  that before!),
- people who don't want their code to be used in non-GPL apps (for
  whatever reason).

In general, the first category doesn't object to switching to LGPL, which
is recognized as safe for our purposes (as far as I know).

It's hard to have a rational discussion with the second category because
they tend to go on a FSF jihad as soon as you try discussing licensing
with them ;)

Asking to change the license to LGPL is a good first step for libraries
where LGPL is obviously more suitable than GPL. If the author argues
that GPL is more suitable, that tells us about his motivations, and we
can make a decision to use or not use the code.

--
Aymeric.