Just my small contribution to the discussion...

Independent of "social" aspects to the choice of words, the move towards "self
explanatory terminology" is preferable, IMHO.

As an example, it takes less mental effort or historical context to know what
an "allow_list" is compared to a "whitelist".

Same argument was involved in changing the terminology we used for replicated
databases. It made sense then, it makes sense now.

--
Curtis