Thanks for the quick response, guys.  I guess what confuses me is the
need to EVER restart the server to pick up changes (excluding db
syncs).  It's been stated in many places (including Tim's response)
that the test server will automatically pickup code changes, but on
several occasions I've made changes to a view, and got a "cannot load
page/no response" (from the browser, not a Django error).  Once I quit
the server (Control-C), start it up again and refresh the page, it
works fine.

Can someone briefly explain the difference between PHP apps -- which
run your code "as is" without need for refreshing the server -- and
Django?

Again, much appreciated.