On 9/28/2010 1:19 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 22:51 -0400, Steve Holden wrote:
>> I'd just like to briefly report back on the inquiries Nancy and I have
>> been making into East coast venues for DjangoCon 2011.
>
> just curious - why a hotel? In India we hold such conferences in
> universities/colleges - they provide all facilities free of cost (except
> accomodation - although some make their guest houses available for the
> VIPs), and in fact, compete with each other to offer hosting. We have
> just finished Pycon India where we got three state of art auditoriums
> free of cost.

The choice of venue was made in advance for this year - effectively we
took over an existing contract. This is the first time anyone has
suggested a non-hotel venue.

I haven't really heard much support for a university venue from the
community at large. They have both advantages and disadvantages. Of
course PyCon used a university location for the first three years. After
we outgrew the original location the conference's size made it difficult
to find university locations large enough (according to the people who
made the choices - I only chaired for three years).

It would be best not to cast the net too wide, given that a year ahead
is a relatively short planning time frame for a conference of this size.

regards
 Steve