On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Steve Holden <holden...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd just like to briefly report back on the inquiries Nancy and I have
> been making into East coast venues for DjangoCon 2011. This is not a
> final answer, simply reassurance that things have actually been happening.
>
> Sadly, New York is out for 2011. Those (very few) venues whose costs are
> low enough are already booked up. Those with space are *much* too
> expensive. If we want to look at a New York DjangoCon US we should
> probably plan at least two years ahead, and still expect it to be quite
> a lot more expensive than Portland (even without factoring in the higher
> cost of eating out and so on in New York).
>
> Chicago is also quite a lot more expensive than Portland for 2011, so we
> have had to rule that out too. Again, a longer planning time frame
> *might* help.
>
> We did receive responses from a couple of hotels close to Dulles airport
> where the costs might be acceptable and they do have space for next
> year. Sadly both facilities (and particularly the one whose costs are
> closest to the Doubletree in Portland) are quite isolated (i.e. anything
> else is a cab ride away). This doesn't seem like it would fit with a
> group that enjoys visiting local bars and restaurants.
>
> We are currently waiting for replies from one or two more hotels more
> "in the thick of things" in the DC area. This would probably mean a bit
> more difficulty getting to the venue from the airports, but it would
> mean that Djangonauts who want to venture out from the hotel would find
> more facilities close by.
>
> I will let you know more when I hear more. In the meantime, I am
> wondering whether it might be more practical to have a third year at the
> Doubletree in Portland, and adopt a longer time frame for 2012 planning
> for an East coast conference. Feedback on that question would be welcome.

I don't have any objections to another year in Portland. It's a great
city with great transport and nightlife. If another year in Portland
will give us the breathing room to secure better options on the east
coast, I'm all for it. It's certainly a more attractive option than a
week in an airport Hilton with a cab ride needed for every restaurant
trip.

Yours
Russ Magee %-)