I live in Argentina, If I wanted to go to the DjangoCon in Portland,
it would require a Bus to Buenos Aires, then take an international
flight to a US mayor city and then another to reach Portland, overall
I would be travelling more nearly an entire day to reach the
conference.

New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Washington have direct
flights from almost every country. I'm sure if the conference is place
in a city with easy access it would have more people going.

Cheers, Sebastian