On 01/05/2011 07:57 AM, James Hancock wrote:
> I think it does the same thing, but I was talking about how you cant set
> 'ordering' under the Meta class in a model.
> http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/ref/models/options/#django.db.models.Options.ordering
>
> <http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/ref/models/options/#django.db.models.Options.ordering>If
> I set it to a field of Japanese characters, the ordering comes out wrong. At
> least not in the desired order.
> How can I set the data collation for just a few fields? And how can I know
> which of the Japanese to set it to?

Does the “strcoll” function in Python’s standard “locale” module do the
right thing when a Japanese locale is set?  If not, can you persuade the
PyICU package to do the right thing?

If either of these works, then you could slurp your results into a
Python list and then sort the list using one of these methods.  This
wouldn’t perform too well, of course, if you had thousands and thousands
of results and you wanted the database to peel off the top ten... but if
for some reason collation at the database level isn’t working, doing it
all at the Python level might be better than nothing.