On 2011-01-06, at 11:31 , James Hancock wrote:
> Any other suggestions or ways to correctly sort Japanese Words?
I don't believe Python has any support for collations (locale-specific sorts,
especially the Unicode Collation Algorithm and related Default Unicode
Collation Element Table and Common Locale Data Repository). It has
locale.strcoll but that's POSIX-based and I'm not sure it's going to be
sufficient.

As others suggested, your best bets are:
1. Use your database's collation support as suggested by Daniel. MySQL seems to
allow per-column character set (and collation), Postgres's documentation seems
to indicate its charset and collation support is per-database

2. Use Python's ICU bindings and perform your sort in-memory in Python using
the right locale and collation, ICU should have pretty complete support for
that operation.