The main difference with Ubuntu is that it's a binary distribution
(pre-compiled binaries for a standardized platform).  I use Gentoo,
personally, which is a variant of Debian with "portage" rather than "apt".
  LAMP server stuff is readily available on all distros of Linux.  If
you're hardcore then use Gentoo.  If you're medium-core then use Debian.
 If you're softcore then use Ubuntu.  If you like RedHat style more than
Debian, then go CentOS.  Whichever you choose, you'll immediately need to
familiarize yourself with it's package manager and how things are done on
that platform.  good luck :-)

AsymptopiaSoftware|Software@theLimit
          http://www.asymptopia.org