I don't have a recommendation on a specific distribution -- that's really a
matter of personal taste and experience. However, try to go with a
free-tier instance until you really need to upgrade. There are only certain
images that can be used with that free-tier. It's a pretty good deal! I've
used both Amazon's CentOS based Distribution and Ubuntu on it -- I prefer
Ubuntu, coming from a Debian backend. CentOS has quite a bit of a server
community as well, though.