On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Greg Donald <gdon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You know, Linux isn't your only *nix choice for server software.  I've
> had much success deploying FreeBSD over the years.  It has a hybrid
> package management system.  You can use pkg_add to install a binary
> version of something, or you can use the ports collection to build it
> yourself.  Things will land in the same place, so dependency issues
> are usually extremely low.

FreeBSD on EC2 (Xen) is not exactly simple or stable though (and I'm a
huge FreeBSD advocate!). The current stable way is to setup a windows
instance, and then replace the hard drive image with a FreeBSD one,
which is run under Xen's HVM rather than paravirtualized Xen, which
makes it much more expensive, and you are charged for a windows
license you aren't using!

I wouldn't use it in production, not yet. Maybe when 10.0-RELEASE comes out..

Cheers

Tom