Greetings,

I am trying to do a few advanced (from my point of view) customizations
to the built in admin. I have searched around but haven't found the
answers I'm looking for. If any one can help, or point me to a resource
that can, I'd be forever greatful. (or at least really grateful ;)

More Elaborate Permissions Handling
==============================
I've already setup and customized the basic permisions, but now I need
to be more elaborate. Rather than allowning read/write to whole
records, I need to limit access to specific attributes.

For example: any user can add a new blog post, but only users in group
X can toggle the 'publish' bit on any blog post and only users in group
Z can delete a post.

Are there hooks for individual fields, or at least saving, that will
allow me to enforce my own permission checks?

Custom fields
===========
I also need to create my own custom field. In one of my models I have a
integer where each bit stands for an action. Similar to the unix
permissions system. i.e. chmod 640 user: r/w, group r, other 0

Rather than display this as a text box. I want to create a field with a
series of check boxes to turn each bit on or off. I dug around in the
source but got stuck. It would be nice too, if I can do this with add
modifying the orginal source.

Thanks much for anythoughts or help on these.
--
mthorley