On Monday, January 14, 2013 3:46:54 PM UTC+1, chad petzoldt wrote:

> It had occurred to me that Django wasn't the right tool for this job -
>> not everything is a nail :)
>

> I am embedding these files within a template, so they are not direct
> static serves. But the content must be inserted within the template "as-is"
> from the filesystem.

If you use django templates of course you need django they are other
solutions, like Jinja2 which as no dependency on Django. The question is
what do you really need to use in Django.

> I suck at Javascript.

It can stay as is but it can also change ;)

> Perhaps still, Django is not proper for the job,
>

> but I do know that I need some server-side logic, and I want to do it in
> Python.

Yes, but what is this server side logic ? forms ? even if they are forms on
your site you don't need to use Django to serve static files via templates.

> Any recommendations on another framework?

Maybe, but your usecase is vague to me.

> There are aspects of Django that are growing on me,

What are those ?

> this one paradigm is where I am struggling, and I would not like to
> abandon just yet.

Don't try to feet a solution to any problem, your problem might have better
solutions outside of Django, the thing is I don't understand your project
enough to say, yes or no to Django for you.

> To recap one of my original statements; I do believe what I am really
> looking for is a content management system

A CMS where there is no admin and editing ?

> I just don't feel ready to commit (maybe I need to get over that).

You are wrong about that, getting a CMS with Django is not that a endeavor
especially if the CMS is for particular use case...

I want a content management system that focuses more on the "client
> experience" in the browser.

What does it mean ? You want javascript things ?

> It needs to be picky about layouts, and aware of embedded media.

This can be done with both specific models or a Wysiwyg editors but I
though there were no editing after the initial templating which makes the
model or wysiwyg approach useless, except if you are looking for making it
possible for the designer and editors to build a website like it's done in
jetstrap <http://jetstrap.com/>. But this is not a CMS, it's a website
creator.

> NOTE: My site layouts are not "liquid" at all. They are very absolute;
> from dimensions to positioning. Its not just about getting all the content
> on the page in a certain order.

This has nothing to do with layouts. The question is: is there any patterns
in theses layouts ? What are those patterns ?

If all you need is a template engine and want to avoid javascript which
might not be accessible, you might create your own static site generator
based on Jinja2. Look at Pelican for an example app that does static blog
generation from rst files and templates files. Of course if you don't need
the rst part you can skip it.

Best regards,

Amirouche