Victor Ng wrote:

 > If you're dealing with money at all - you absolutely cannot use float,
 > you *must* use fixed decimal types or you risk getting into all kinds
 > of really terrible rounding errors.

that might be true for the US deficit, but for more normal money
amounts, that's not really true at all.

> I'm frankly surprised that a scientific computing app is using float
> with any degree of success.

that's probably because they're scientists, and have a pretty good
understanding of basic math (unlike the recent c.l.python poster who
basically claimed that if someone pays you $5.999999999999999 for a
$6.00 product, you've lost a full dollar ;-)

</F>