> Even if you are right and the use of numeric is the right decision,
> still naming the fixed decimal type 'float' is, well, surprising ;-)

Agreed.  It *is* surprising.

> I will really appreciate an example showing when SELECT FOR UPDATE
> is not sufficient. GET is not important, it does not start a
> transaction in db.
> POST can be constructed even without contact to the database, it only
> should contain all information from all fields of the affected rows of
> all the affected tables (it's OK if the client just guessed all this
> information correctly), and the new information for UPDATEs.
> No long-lasting transactions involved.
> The session is needed only for authentication.

If user A and user B are editting the same records and you enter a
race where they do this:

A) retrieve record
B) retrieve record
A) delete record
B) update record

The select for update that user B uses will succeed since the select
will simply return 0 rows.  The update will succeed because 0 rows are
updated successfully.

SELECT FOR UPDATE really only helps if the SQL commands are running
concurrently.

vic

--
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."  - Hanlon's Razor