Hi,

You are simply supposed to run Apache (/etc/init.d/apache2 start) and,
if well configured, mod_python will take care of everything. With
Apache, you're not supposed to use manage.py in any way.

The thing you must think about is to add a web server to, well...
serve the /media files. For that, Django recomends to set a new
server, but it can be also done from the same Apache server:
Alias /media "/var/www/any_directory/media"
<Location "/media/">
SetHandler None
</Location>

Hope it helps,