On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 07:45 -0700, Ilya Semenov wrote:
> Malcolm,
>
> I traced the problem and submitted the patch, see details at
> http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4650
> I'm not completely sure about the logic of signals though, the change
> may affect some middleware depending on it.

One other thing that I forgot in my earlier email: it's not actually
clear why the database connections get "lost" in the current
implementation. We close the connection too early, but when the template
rendering needs to access the database, it just opens a new one (that is
why everybody is seeing more opens than closes). However, the next time
that thread or process is used, Django should be reusing the same
connection, since it will still be open and we check for an existing
connection before opening a new one. So in a sufficiently robust test
(that reuses threads), I would have expected no lost connections. The
reason why people are seeing them is something I haven't quite tracked
down yet.

Malcolm