> Well, I have another server available now ;)

And you're using it for serving static content I hope? Your previous
setup with Apache serving everything with KeepAlive off can bring many
a server to its knees. If you serve a html page with for example 30
css, js and image files, you make a single request that needs 31 free
Apache processes. This will usually mean spawning quite a bit of extra
processes, which is somewhat costly in terms of CPU usage. On top of
that, all of those processes load all enabled Apache libraries and
usually end up consuming quite a bit of memory (especially with
mod_python as a static module).

I think you'll see a great performance boost if you let Lighttpd or
Nginx handle your static files. In which case (and imho only case) you
can have Apache's KeepAlive set to off.

In fact, I don't think you absolutely need a second physical server
for serving the static content. Unless serving files is quite a big
part of your operation of course. Do some stress tests with Lighttpd
or Nginx running alongside Apache and see how the server holds out.

Regards,
Simon