@ Malcolm: I know, I didn't mean you'd need 31 separate Apache
processes at once. Most browsers only download a few files at once per
subdomain, but that usually still involves spawning new Apache
processes. How many is dependent on many factors of course. In the end
I still believe that KeepAlive should be on if Apache serves static
content.

@ Graham: Indeed, I should have mentioned that this is only for the
first request made by the client due to browser caching.

@ Michel: That's possible, but it's hard to tell from here. Monitoring
your system closely while it's under load should give you the answer.
Again, I can't tell from here if you need a second physical server,
but I would at least try running Lighttpd alongside Apache. Personally
I think the best approach is to use a separate IP for Lighttpd to
listen on, but it should be equally easy to have Lighttpd listen on
for example port 81.

regards,
Simon