On Nov 25, 2007 6:21 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm aware of a number of different schema evolution (Rails style
> migration) tools that exist, most notably the ones listed at
> http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SchemaEvolution
>
> While there seems to be two branches dealing with schema evolution one
> doesn't seem to have been touched in 4 months, and the other in 11.
> What is the recommended method to do this right now, what are you all
> using, just plain SQL? Basically, I'm looking for the best solution to
> this problem and would like to know what the community recommends.

Caveat - I'm one of the developers of Django Evolution, mentioned below.

Regarding the two schema-evolution branches: they are no longer being
maintained in the Django source tree.

The original branch was a Google Summer of Code 2006 project. This
project wasn't fully completed at the time; Derek (the person working
on the branch) revisited the code earlier this year with a view to
finishing the project. However, the design he produced wasn't
satisfactory to the core developers (in particular, myself, but backed
up by others). Derek disagreed, and so he used his design and code as
the starting point for the DESEB project on Google code.

The second branch was created, and then immediately went nowhere. The
user that requested the branch disappeared almost as soon as the
branch was created.

So - what is the recommended solution? Well, there's no official
recommendation.

If I were a betting man, I would say Django Evolution has the best
chance of eventually becoming the official migration mechanism for
Django. A few high profile Django users have made favourable noises
about the approach taken by Django Evolution. However, Django
Evolution is still under relatively early development; certain
migrations work well, others aren't implemented at all. Depending on
your exact needs, and your willingness to work around/with any bugs
that may still exist, it may be enough for you. Check out the FAQ and
ticket tracker for the project if you want more details.

You may also get some milage out of DESEB; however, I wouldn't
recommend it personally. If you want to know more about my concerns,
hunt down the threads on the Django Developers list that deal with the
schema-evolution branch.

SmileyChris was working on an alternative called DB Evolution
alternative a while back; however, he is now contributing to Django
Evolution.

I can't make any comment on YADSEL, schema-evolution and
django-schemaevolution. I remember the announcement of YADSEL and
django-schemaevolution, but I can't say I've heard anything from them
since. YMMV.

Based on the current state of play, it will be a long time before any
merge happens, and it isn't guaraneed that a merge will ever happen.
Writing the ALTER TABLE statements yourself is the only method that is
guaranteed to be feature complete and bug free at present.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)