Even if it had the most beautiful site in the world, and that was enough to
get permission to use it, a responsible developer would write some unit
tests and check the items that he asked in his original question.

His highly-qualified scientists probably won't have any idea that a database
driver even exists; they will be more interested in the part of the system
that they actually interact with.  Highly-qualified programmers and computer
scientists won't care about the site or the language appearing on it, when
they see the passing test suite.