On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:40 AM, tampler_knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thank you so much for the reply, Karen. Greatly appreciated.
>
> I am using Django-0.96.2 which is installed in the C drive of my
> machine (running Windows XP SP2).
>
> As advised in the documentation, I tried to use 'setup.py install' but
> I get the following error:
>
> C:\Django-0.96.2>setup.py install
> running install
> running build
> running build_py
> error: package directory '\django' does not exist
>
> Can you please advise me how I can get rid of this error.

Honestly I'd recommend upgrading to an SVN checkout of django.  That error,
along with other Windows-specific problems with setup.py have been fixed in
the current code.  Plus you get over a years worth of bug fixes and
significant improvements (unicode, autoescape, queryset improvements).
Unless you have pre-existing code that you don't want to adjust for
backwards-incompatible changes since 0.96, I see no reason to stick with an
0.96.x release.

If you really need to use an 0.96 release, pull just the current setup.py
from SVN. You can download it from here:
http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/setup.py (there are
download links at the bottom of the page) and use it instead of the one that
comes with 0.96.

Karen