You may also want to make sure that you know whether your Flash/
ActionScript components require UTF-8 with BOM (Byte-order Mark) or
not.

Let me try to explain more clearly:
In my case, I had i18n problems when a flash component rendered my
utf-8 encoded templates.
I had saved my templates as utf-8, had set the response headers as:

    response = HttpResponse(mimetype='text/xml; charset=utf-8')

Nevertheless all of the characters that are out of ascii range were
not displayed correctly.
It turned out to be that my text editor (TextMate) was saving the file
as UTF-8 without BOM for some good reasons.
(http://blog.macromates.com/2005/handling-encodings-utf-8/)
And the flash component required UTF-8 with BOM in order to display
correctly.
So I had to save my xml templates in an other text editor.

Regards,
Polat Tuzla