On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 06:16 -0800, Polat Tuzla wrote:
> You may also want to make sure that you know whether your Flash/
> ActionScript components require UTF-8 with BOM (Byte-order Mark) or
> not.
>
> Let me try to explain more clearly:
> In my case, I had i18n problems when a flash component rendered my
> utf-8 encoded templates.
> I had saved my templates as utf-8, had set the response headers as:
>
>     response = HttpResponse(mimetype='text/xml; charset=utf-8')
>
> Nevertheless all of the characters that are out of ascii range were
> not displayed correctly.
> It turned out to be that my text editor (TextMate) was saving the file
> as UTF-8 without BOM for some good reasons.
> (http://blog.macromates.com/2005/handling-encodings-utf-8/)
> And the flash component required UTF-8 with BOM in order to display
> correctly.

Wow, that's pretty bad behaviour on the part of the flash component
(hope you reported the bug). BOMs are valid in UTF-8, but should never,
ever, be required, otherwise the tool cannot say that it handles UTF-8,
since BOMs are entirely optional.

It's annoying enough that some editors save UTF-8 with the BOM mark.
There's no option about the byte order in UTF-8! why are they wasting
space and processing time for everybody by specifying it? But for some
application to *require* it upon reading is just retarded.

Okay, rant over. I feel better now. But, that's just dumb. :-(

Malcolm